After a very all-over-the-place July, it has been a bit trying getting settled back into the routine here. It just hasn’t been happening. This weekend, I just decided to go with it. Embrace the chaos and do something fun amid the crazy. So I set my knitting needles aside for a few hours & got out my sewing machine.
Now I grew up in a house where my mom sewed a lot. She did (and still does) quilt and she even made fair bit of my clothing all the way through high school, so sewing is something for which I have a decent understanding. You can say things like bias tape & stitch-in-the-ditch to me and I’ll know what you’re talking about. I actually brought my sewing machine – a Pfaff that was about 5years older than me that weighed roughly 45lbs — with me to college, but didn’t really use it much, but like knitting it was high on my list of things I pursued after graduation . I even worked at the retail store Nancy’s Notions — the companion to the catalog/shop created by the esteemed Nancy Zieman of Sewing with Nancy — for a few years when we first moved into our house. My knowledge grew a bit, I experimented a lot, and I splurged on a decent sewing machine and serger. Although I tried a lot of new things, generally speaking I didn’t get very far. I made a attempts at clothes for myself, a few little tops and pants, and blankets for my kids when they were born, but for the most part I switched almost exclusively to knitting for the portability of it once I had my babies. Life was far to on-the-go to be tied to a machine.
After a L O N G hiatus, a few months or a year ago I learned about Made by Rae patterns from reading a blog — I think it was Jane Richmond’s, but I’m not sure. I instantly loved the modern style of the patterns. The pattern I liked at the time though – the Washi Dress — involved smocking and I was just not in a place where I had the confidence or patience to deal with smocking. When the Ruby Dress & Top came out this spring & showed up in SouleMama’s blog, I jumped at it. It was mid-March after the longest, coldest winter in recent memory and I had been looking at spring & summer tops not really finding what I wanted. This pattern was four pieces and the hardest part would be the gathers (I failed to notice the bias tape aspect before purchasing the pattern). What really sold me though was the fabric SouleMama used… my favorite was the dress made with Nani Iro fabrics which I discovered in stock at Alewives Fabrics thanks to the handy link in the post. I selected that fabric along with some plain white muslin and a couple others (I was pretty ambitious back in mid-March) and I was convinced I could make my spring & summer wardrobe really awesome for less money & better quality than my ready-made options. I figured I’d have these sewn up before the school year ended.
Well, on August 2nd, I got everything out & re-ironed my (thankfully) already pre-washed fabrics.
I even found my nice sewing scissors — no small miracle in the disaster/dumping ground that is my sewing area.
For the first Ruby top, I used plain white muslin. I like muslin partly because it is cheap, but also because I honestly really love crisp, white muslin. Every spring I buy one or two white tops which inevitably get trashed with coffee spills, dirt, and all the other disasters that befall truly worn & loved clothes. Every year the tops I buy are not quite perfect. I hoped to change that this year…
And within a couple hours I had hit my mark. It. Is. Perfect. The fit, the feel of the muslin, everything. It is 100% fab. I did follow the super amazing Ruby Dress Yoke Lining Video Tutuorials to make a fully lined yoke. Honestly, for someone just trying to get back into sewing, I highly recommend this route. While the fully lined yoke is labeled as slightly more advanced, I think having the tutorials there to hold my hand made it a million times easier than if I had tried to go it alone even with an unlined yoke. The pattern is extremely well written, but the tutorials really take you step-by-step.
I had such a great experience sewing this top — and my kids were so impressed that I managed the feat — that the following day I whipped up two more.
This time I was a little more brave and busted out my super cool prints from Alewives Fabrics. I was so determined to do a good job that I even ripped out one of the hand sewn finishing seams after realizing I had botched it a little.
It took longer than expected, but it was worth it. This morning I was ready for a little photo shoot…
My beautiful muslin.
My lovely Sarah Jane Studios Wee Wander Meandering Petals. This one reminds me prints from the 1950s. I love it.
And my beloved Nani Iro print. There are so many things I love about how this one turned out. From the tulips, to the swath of blue on the right side of the yoke to the underarm bias tapes that are different colors. I love all three, but this one makes me feel like getting back to sewing was worth it.
I have a few more fabrics left from my overly-optimistic order this spring. I may whip them up this fall yet — I can see wearing these over long-sleeved tops or paired with sweaters this fall. I may also wait for next spring. Whatever the case, my eyes are starting to sneak peaks at the Bianca Dress & Top. I have a simple black dress that’s a very similar style that I picked up on super discount at Target 4 or 5 years ago and it needs to be replaced since I wear it a couple times a week with heavy tights & boots in winter. There is some shirring/elastic at the waist on the Bianca Dress which is kind of scary for me, but there’s a tutorial for that shirring… You know what, I can probably handle it. The overly-optimistic seems to be working for me… as does embracing the chaos. With results like this…
I think I’m just going to keep going with it.