Snow on Daffodils, Local Fiber, & Territorial Flickers

You probably won’t find it hard to believe that here at Casa Knitting Sarah we are early risers. I’ve been a little off with the move and the new house and not yet sleeping quite right so occasionally I’ve been sleeping in until — gasp! — 6 or 6:30am which seems awfully crazy late to me. Yesterday, I awoke a little before 6 while Mr Knitting Sarah was getting ready for work. He was kind enough to bring me a cup of coffee in bed and I thought, “Hey, I haven’t had a slow morning since the end of February. I’m going to do a little reading and sip this coffee and have a nice slow start to my Saturday.” The mister took off and I heard my son downstairs taking his shower. And then it happened.

This insanely loud, jackhammer-like hammering erupted.

It felt like the house was shaking (it wasn’t) and I leapt from my bed thinking of all the things that could be about to explode in the house. Was it the boiler about to blow? Or the sump pump erupting? What about the water heater? Didn’t the realtor say sometimes after a house has been sitting empty the sediments settle and make the water heater die? Did she say it would blow up or just leak? The hammering stopped and started a couple times and I realized it sounded higher up and on the back side of the house so I threw on a robe so I could go investigate.

I took Moose with me so I wouldn’t be alone in whatever horror I was about to behold and as we walked out the door and looked up I saw a flash of dark wings. I thought I saw the creature fly to the neighbors’ house. So I walked toward the front yard to get a better look– still in my bathrobe and barefoot in the 30degree weather, of course. And then I saw it. A Flicker popped its head out of the gutter and then started hammering away in there. It did that a couple times and then flew on and I heard it doing the same thing a couple houses down. Delighted no explosion from my new house was imminent and slightly frozen, I went back inside, did a quick search, and discovered that these birds — and all woodpeckers — commonly do this. Sometimes it’s for bugs or food, sometimes they are trying to make a space for a nest, and sometimes they just like making a loud noise to proclaim to the world that this is their territory. Considering that we have no exposed wood on the house and likely the same Flicker spent all day Friday calling from one of our backyard trees, I’m thinking the last option is most likely. Well, thank you, Mr Neighborhood Flicker, for scaring the crap out of me. I hope you really like your territory here!

Of course at this point, my slow morning idea of coffee in bed was pretty much out the window so I got dressed and did a little spinning with my coffee instead. I’ve got at least 3 projects worth of singles full and ready to ply, but I’ve been working on finishing up this yak+silk from Classy Squid Fiber Co

And I did finally finish it last night. Yay! I’ll have a plying party this week, for sure!

I’m getting used to spinning in my new super wonderfully comfortable chair. It sounds a little ridiculous to talk about it like it a legitimate adjustment, but it’s been a process for me. Instead of sitting up over my wheel from the barstool-type height I’m used to, I’m now at a “normal chair level,” but leaning way back. I learned the hard way that if the wheel is in the wrong place, it can make my knees or ankles sore. In the right position it feels totally fine, but I have to get that feel for where the right position is.  I also discovered that spinning with consistency is going to be a little different, too. I’m used to being able to see what’s coming up on the bobbin easily as I was always looking down on it and now I can’t see it well without reshuffling myself up to see it so I need to be a bit more vigilant in watching the fiber before it hits the bobbin and in paying attention with my tactile senses. I’m not sure how consistent this spin will be, but I’ll get there with practice.

In other news this past week, on a rainy Wednesday we made our first visit to neighboring Stevens Point that was not just driving through Stevens Point. ‘Point’, as it’s commonly referred to, is home to one of the campuses for the University of Wisconsin system and we opted to see what their Museum of Natural History had to offer. It’s awesome and was a huge hit with the kids. We had a very yummy lunch at Habibi’s Gyros and Kabob house — falafel for the win! — and then I was treated to a visit to the Wisconsin Wool Exchange. This shop is quite seriously one of the friendliest LYSs that I’ve even been to and the staff was super attentive even though they had a full house knitting away for a charity event. If you’re in the area, I recommend following their facebook page to stay apprised of their very active goings-on and checking them out. It’s a little shop, but everything they stock is locally produced which I think is just super cool. I picked up these three balls of hand-dyed roving…

They are very reminiscent of the colors I’ve been seeing a lot this spring and I just couldn’t resist. The current plan is to spin them as separate singles and then ply them together as a three ply. I think it’s going to be gorgeous! We also picked up the softest ever teddy bear for our girl. It’s made of alpaca and is so soft she named it “Silk.” For our boy, we purchased some Alpaca Poop. That’s what the tag said anyway when really it was chocolate covered peanuts. He was delighted. In fact, we all were with this stop!

We rounded out our day with a little jaunt to the Schmeeckle Reserve which is home to the Wisconsin Conservation Hall of Fame and many wonderful trails. The rain tapered off while we checked out their little museum and we went on a dark and moody hike…

The trail system is fantastic in this spot, well-marked and easy to follow. It’s just perfect for families and when kids need to get out and run around and explore. I have to say, all the hikes in this area are still so striking to me. The huge pines mixed in with the deciduous trees. The red granite paths where I’m used to sandstone or limestone. And just the overall size and depth of these forests really takes my breath away.

And as I finish meandering through my thoughts of this week, I’ll leave you with one last image…

Snow on our daffodils.

Thursday it snowed and we had about a half inch that stuck around until mid-day Friday. If it’s going to snow at the end of April, clearly this fiber artist needs to work faster at her craft.

5 thoughts on “Snow on Daffodils, Local Fiber, & Territorial Flickers”

  1. Aside from the flicker scaring the bejesus out of you, it sounds like a pretty nice day! That LYS siynds wonderful, and I think that roving will make a great three ply yarn, a moody sort of gold to go with your moody hike!

    1. I agree! Although I’ll admit that I just broke up a different braid of fiber for the next singles spin I have planned and it’s essentially all those colors exactly. LOL!

  2. I can relate! Probably unfortunately. We have a Downy Woodpecker (probably a slew of them) that do this exact thing on the roof pipe from our woodstove and it vibrates like the dickens down into the house (when we’re not using the stove) and scares me every time, practically, even though I’ve been hearing it for like three years. We do have wood shake siding, however, so the woodpeckers are all over our house. Such a funny story, Sarah!

    Snow on the daffodils just isn’t right…;)

    1. My husband had the same thing in one of the houses he lived in growing up with the wood siding. I was mostly confused because thew new house is totally wrapped in vinyl siding with no exposed wood. Thankfully the Flicker has stopped for the time being (knock on wood). Maybe he found a better yard!

      No snow today — in fact, I had to buy a new lawnmower and am about to go take it for a walk!

Comments are closed.