The 1+1+1 Project: Q4 Wrap-Up

The year of The 1+1+1 Project has officially come to a close and I’m happy to share that I finished up my last +1 for Q4 just in the nick of time. First though, let’s go back and revisit the +1s I finished earlier this quarter.

Goal 1: Knit a Featherweight Cardi in my Birds in the Holly handspun yarn.

front-onNailed it!

Goal 2: Spin some fun yarns for my daughter’s birthday with these fun mini-batts.

all-threeDone!

Goal 3: Try Kool-Aid dyeing.

Well, you’ll remember the blank slate photo here with the three skeins from Kraemer Yarns Natural Skeins collection…

kool-aidAnd I shared that I managed to Kool-Aid dye both skeins of wool/wool blend…

img_5142Here, the Jane base that is a merino/nylon blend…

And here…

img_5144The Beth base which is a merino/silk/alpaca blend. In case you missed it, you can check out my account of this Kool-Aid dyeing experiment here.

But what about that last skein? Patti is a 100% organic cotton base and thus, as I understand it, it’s not compatible with Kool-Aid dyeing. I did a little research and stumbled upon this article from Craftsy that mentioned using tie-dye kits for dyeing 100% cotton yarn. Having basic familiarity with tie-dyeing, I figured it was worth a shot. I’m not really interested in training to become a professional dyer and I just wanted something fun & easy, so it seemed like the perfect fit for me. I took a quick trip over to my local JoAnn’s Fabrics and grabbed this Tulip One-Step Tie-Dye Kit containing pink, yellow, and turquoise. I washed and let my yarn simmer for a while as per the instructions in the Craftsy article, let it cool down, and then got myself all set.

img_5591 Unlike the last dyeing experiment, this time I remembered to wear gloves.

img_5592And it’s a good thing because where the instructions say, “Don’t over-saturate,” I totally failed. I learned, however, that it didn’t really hurt the yarn… it just took a million years to rinse the extra dye out.

The final yarn? I think it turned out pretty fun!

img_5607I won’t lie, my mind is not programmed to think like a dyer so my resulting skeins always kind of surprise me. Dyeing strikes me as a very “big picture” exercise and “big picture” thinking is not my forté.  I like surprises though, so it all works out for me.

img_5608In all honesty, I love the colors and I think it’ll be fun to knit up. I’m thinking I’ll work up some wash cloths or maybe a largely kitchen towel or something. Since I just finished it, I haven’t yet decided. I’m just ecstatic to have finished by my deadline!

And with that, my year of The 1+1+1 Project comes to a close. I’ve learned that it really does come in handy to wrap up loose ends and, for me at least, it really helps me achieve sweater knitting goals. That said, for how I work and approach my craft projects, I’m not 100% convinced that it’s the best method for me. I tend to work more on a sliding scale where my plans shift and change very organically based on so many variables in my life. And I get stressed if I don’t get to things “on time.”

I’ll be leaving The 1+1+1 Project thread open in the Friends of Knitting Sarah Ravelry group and some folks have already started lining up their goals — it’s fantastic! I might hold off for the first quarter at least and reassess how I could best use the format. Maybe 3 grand goals for the year would be a better fit for me or 3 goals every 6 months. I will ponder that for a while, I think. In the mean time though, I’m thankful for all the projects this little experiment helped me finish, the new-to-me adventures in craft that I’ve tried, and the things I’ve learned about myself along the way.

4 responses to “The 1+1+1 Project: Q4 Wrap-Up

  1. Wow! That tie-dye cotton yarn is so vibrant! I would have never guessed it would be that vivid. Gives me some ideas for my home grown cotton. Congrats on meeting your goals for the year.

  2. Pingback: Knitting and Crochet Resolutions for 2017 -·

Comments are closed.